Sunday, September 8, 2013

70 Days: A gaggle, a Divvy and an Expo-Oh My!

Today marks the 70 day countdown before IronMan Arizona. Work is getting very busy now. Although triathlon training is over for our athletes, I am still training athletes for the Chicago Marathon. The 20 miler is slowly coming around the corner. How did that happen? Hold up, how did September just sneak up on us? Can I get a Summer do over PLEASE? Oh wait, we are going into the 90s for the next 2 days-nevermind. A Gaggle: A gaggle of geese that is. On this past Wednesday, I knew that I had to go to FFC Lincoln Park to coach CompuTrainer but I didn't want to double back on a 6 mile run to hop on a bus through CUBS traffic. Have you been in East Lakeview/Wrigleyville during a CUBS game? Exactly! So, to kill 2 birds with one stone, I decided to run with my marathoners to Lincoln Park with a 25 pound backpack on my back. I know, what was I thinking. I wasn't, I just had to do it and I also consider that strength training. Now, where does this gaggle of geese come in? Well, if you live in Chicago and you take the running path South towards the North Avenue Bridge, you will pass Lincoln Park Zoo and Grant's statue. In between was a gaggle of geese or more like a gang in the middle of the path. I was like, "Oh crap!." You see, geese and I haven't liked each other since I tried to beat them down when I was about 2. True story per the parents or was it ducks. Anyway, they decided to move out my way and I made to FFC Lincoln Park. From the path off of Addison to the club is 4.23 miles. Thank you Garmin! A Divvy: So Divvy is the bike sharing program in Chicago. I needed to get to the Chicago Half Marathon Expo on Saturday after my 13 mile run so I decided to rent a Divvy. I LOVE Beeker, my road bike. I LOVE him alot. Divvy is really heavy, cumbersome and only has 3 gears. Perfect to bebop around the city, but not for speed. Really-I tried. I can truly say that I committed bike sin #1: I didn't wear a helmet. I know. Sorry?? I did make it to Navy Pier, albeit a little late and very sore. Rules to working an expo after a long run: bring a foam roller,use foam roller, bring food or have someone bring it for you like my friend Skip did for my on Friday. Oh, and wear compression tights, although I was wearing sleeves, they really didn't help. An Expo: The Chicago Half Marathon Expo was this past Friday and Saturday at Navy Pier in Festival Hall B. First, I dislike Navy Pier. Tourists, go visit it. Me, nope! The Expo was much smaller than last year with a significant amount of vendors missing. Maybe it is the sign of the times, but come on. This is my retail therapy. I got to see my buddies from Newton Running Company, Fleet Feet and Life Time Fitness, but not a lot there. Not even food. At least have samples of nutrition bars, gels, blocks. Hopefully the Chicago Marathon Expo will be MUCH BETTER!! The good thing about the expo was I got to hang out with my Team to End AIDS buddies and run my mouth off about Endurance Training oh and did I forget about Starbucks, oh yeah. So this week I have 18 miles for the marathon (my training plan says 15), 100 mile bike (I need to figure this one out-hmmmm, hello CompuTrainer) and a 2.4 mile swim-Lake Michigan, you better take a bottle of "Act Right!" That's just the nitty gritty of everything. And that is not including teaching, training or coaching. : P I can do this! My favorite quote and song to get me through this week: Quote: "You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations Song: Breathe by Telepopmusik AND....we're off!

No comments:

Post a Comment