Welcome to the first Monday of 2021. Normally, this would be the time of year when gyms are busting at the seams with #newyearrevolutionaries and those returning to fitness after a short or long break. Not this time. We are still in a Covid-19 world and fitness centers across the country are either at limited capacity or shut down completely. In 2020, we had to adapt to a rapidly changing environment. Some of us learned new technologies to reach current and new participants.
For me, with races being cancelled, training was not. I rode a lot of miles on the trainer. I ran a lot of miles. I did a lot of dryland strength training (no pools/no open water swimming).
1. 1151.5 miles of running (the run streak continues)
2. 2881.3 miles of cycling
3. 181,146 yard or 102 miles of swimming
I was interviewed on 3 different Podcasts. I faced my fear of biking outdoors and started to actively bike commute once our facility reopened. I may have been doored (5 times), cussed out by motorists, had bottles thrown at me (twice), flipped over the handlebars of a Divvy Bike (in slow motion) and rode like I was in the Tour de France (more than a handful of times). My bike handling skills greatly improved. My anxiety of riding in traffic eased up. I rode in oppressive heat, unrelenting winds, pouring rain, snow, 19 degrees (not fun), early morning and late at night. I learned that I’m a better biker than I thought. It was years of others telling me that I was not good enough that got in my head. Not anymore, albeit there is still some anxiety, doubt and fear in the back of my head.
So that brings us to 2021.
• I'm a brand ambassador for @TrainingPeaks, @nuunhydration, @fuerzacoffee, @blueseventy, @honeystinger, @coeursports
● I am approaching 250 days of running in a row. I’m continuing with 5 Zoom Pilates Classes until in person classes return. Although I think I will continue to keep 3 classes going.
● I will be presenting at a conference (virtually).Hopefully, this will lead to more opportunities.
● #TeaserTuesday and #WundaChairWednesday posts will continue. Some other things are in the pipeline which will be announced later on.
● Race wise, I only have technically 3 races in 2021: Rev3 Williamsburg Sprint and 70.3 distance in June, ITU World Championships in Aquathlon in September and the Chicago Marathon (it’s really a work day) in October.
So, that is it for now. Here’s to a great start to 2021!