Tuesday, January 25, 2022

When your Workouts/Trainings Go to Sh$t

I always tell my athletes and clients that you will have at least 3 shitty workouts/training sessions. And let me tell you, that includes coaches as well. Right now, it’s January in the Fitness Industry and it’s hard. If I am being honest, sleep has evaded me (thank you Insomnia), and the long days and let’s add in, I’m currently training for 2 half marathons for the first quarter of the year plus other items makes it tough to get a workout in.

What happens when this happens? It's very easy to sit on your ass and binge watch something on Disney+ (thank you Marvel Universe!) or you can go out and use it as a lesson learned. Something similar can happen on race day so embrace it, but within reason. What do I mean by that? Take notice of what is happening with your body, your breathing, your attitude. 

  • If something is not feeling right in your body, I usually tell people to wait after the first mile because the first mile is a liar. If your body is still not feeling right, stop the training. There is no shame in it. Perfect example of this, most people know that I have Reynaud's syndrome really bad in my hands coupled with migraines. Ike, yes, I named my migraine just comes along to my workouts. Now 2 weeks ago, my training plan had 12 miles for my last long run. It did not go well AT ALL! I was dressed appropriately for 9 degrees real feel but my hands were not happy. Although I had on 2 pairs of gloves with the hand warmers in between, my hands were NOT HAPPY. I aborted the run at 10k. Walked over to Starbuck's to get a coffee (really to warm my hands) and took the bus home. Defeated: yes. Discouraged: yes and no. Yes, because my hands were not happy. No, because I've done 11 miles. 

  • If your breathing is off, take a step back and think about breathing in for either 3 or 4 counts and exhaling out for 2 or 3 counts: slow inhale/slow exhale. 
  • Lastly, check your attitude. Your attitude dictates everything from how your body feels to how you perform at work. Now sometimes, your attitude can fuel your workouts. Sometimes, being pissed off can make you have an amazing workout (but then you feel like you are going to die). Again, check yourself, your ego, your attitude.
Just know that you are not alone. Embrace that shitty workout, learn from it and move on. Oh, and shameless plug, yes, I'm fundraising for T2EA (Team 2 End AIDS). Want to chip in a dollar or $13.10 for the F^3 Half Marathon that I'm running this Saturday? Here's the link: https://action.aidschicago.org/fundraiser/3625150


No comments:

Post a Comment