Tuesday, April 19, 2016

DNF vs DNT vs DNS

It's been a while since I have written a post (long story) but I am BACK!

You may have noticed the title of this post. If you are not an athlete, let me explain what all of these letters mean:
  • DNF: did not finish
  • DNT: did not try
  • DNS: did not start
Why this title and this topic? Let's start with the first one, the infamous DNF (did not finish). This post stems from NOLA 70.3 that happened this past Sunday. The DNF rate for this race was over 40%. The majority of the DNF's were from the swim. There are many reasons that a DNF may occur (choppy water, sea creatures-Godzilla, mechanical failures beyond your control, injury within the race, etc.), but whatever that reason is, please do not, and I must say this again, DO NOT make the person feel bad. I have had a lot of DNF's and in my head, I run through every possible scenario on what I could have done differently, basically all of the "what ifs". The thing about a DNF is you can either learn from it and apply those lessons to the next race or you can let it cripple you.

The DNT: Did not try. I think the description says it all. Why race if you are not going to at least give half a F&CK???? Maybe your friends bullied, I mean peer pressured you into race that you know in your heart of hearts that you are no where near ready for. Sometimes you just have to tell them no. No is a wonderful and powerful word. That is all I am going to say on this.

The dreaded DNS: Did not start. Now, there are plenty of reasons for not starting a race, especially if you are not able to get a refund or transfer it to a friend. Injuries are the number 1 reason why someone doesn't start a race. That person actually was smart and probably knew that if I race, I may make the injury worse. Sometimes travel is a cause. If you are going to a race in another state or even another country, travel delays can happen. You can only wish for the best possible outcome. And then, there is forgetting about a race all together. Say what??? Yes, you read that right! I know of a few friends who completely forgot that they were racing. This is what happens when you sign up for a race a year in advance.

So, what would I rather have? I would rather have a DNF vs a DNT vs s DNS. What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment