Sunday, November 9, 2014

Meep, Meep, Meep and T-minus 7 days

"I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it." - Gale Sayers

“Meep, Meep, Meep!” That’s what my bike is probably saying as he is making his journey to Tempe, AZ. Why do I mention my bike? Well, my bike’s name is Beeker (yes, after the Muppets) and this is his final journey at the Ironman distance. Beeker and I have had a love/hate relationship for the past 5 years. Beeker is too small for me (didn’t know that when I purchased him) but he is the little bike that could. He’s not the fanciest or the latest bike (oh, we get bike envious), he gets me from point A to point B. He’s taken a beating and keeps on kicking but this is his last journey with me. He will hopefully have a new home with another triathlete sometime in early 2015.

Most of you know that I don’t like the bike portion of any triathlon. If it could be shorter and both the swim/run much longer, I would be a happy, happy girl. But, that is not to be. So, one week from today, I will be on the race course of Ironman Arizona. It’s been a journey, too say the least. I’ve put in all of the work and now it’s show time. I’m going to let my work speak for itself. All of my frustrations/angst/etc. that I have been dealing with, I’m just going to leave it out on that course one last time because this is my last year at Ironman Arizona because in 2015, this girl is going to Ironman Cozumel (any takers?? Bueller? Bueller?) and I may even take a vacation (oh my!).

So, if you want to track me next week, I am athlete number 1385. If you are racing down there or spectating, I’m easy to find (look for the ‘fro). I have a finish time in my head that I’m not telling anyone but just rest assured that I will be over 12 hours and under 16. My luggage is packed and now I am soo ready to get to Arizona for the simple fact that it is going to be like 23° on Thursday.

Again, I just want to say thank you to EVERYONE who has in some way helped me on this journey. But I will also like to say that I am so humbled for inspiring so many people to the wonderful world of Endurance Sports and making a positive difference in their lives. 

And yes, I will be back in Chicago on Monday, November 16th in the evening and back at work on Tuesday. Don’t judge if I am taking the elevator eating Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey Ice Cream for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Until Saturday for my final post before race day...Peace! Love! and Afros!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Joy! It's been awesome to watch your journey these last few months! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete