Tuesday, September 23, 2014

It's not about the distance, it's about the community

For those of you who don't know, I'm a music junkie (my B.A. is in music). This past weekend was the peak culmination of marathon training-the 20 miler. Now what does this have to do with music? Well, this particular line in one of my favorite hip hop songs will explain it all:

"One fly tune, that have black and white vibe in one room; No confrontation, parlay all night; It's just the sensation."

This line is from "Music" by Erick Sermon which samples Marvin Gaye's , "Turn on Some Music". Now what does a 20 mile run and this song have in common? Music and athletics brings everyone together. The 20 mile run this past weekend brought everyone together up and down the lakefront path. No matter race, gender, orientation, economic status, sports brings people together, just like music. It's a community, a crazy endurance community at that.

I've been blessed to be a part of the endurance community regardless of it being swimming, running, biking, triathloning (that is a word). Its this community that inspires me and leads me to inspire others. I know that I'm a social butterfly but I would have never met so many amazing, truly amazing people without being in this community. Well, maybe not-I am in the Fitness Industry. : P

I've learned so much, hung out with some awesomely cool people, discovered new things (last year was my first time ever having Nutella) and got out of my comfort zone. So embrace the community, it's really not about the distance. Get off the couch and either walk, run, swim, bike or dance your way to new friendships...

That's it until next time...54 days and counting til IMAZ 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment